Thursday, September 30, 2004
Ok now.. abt today ha.. day starts off rather wel... though I woke up late n missed SS lecture again.. damn.. I seem to have no idea wats going on for this module.. hopeless gal.. tsktsk.
Anyway... gonna be late for tutorial too.. so decided to rush a cab down.. $14plus.. but htought it worth it today.. cos I met one of the most interesting taxi driver ha.. ya.. sounds kinda dumb hor.. erm. but just wanna say its a sorta nice nice experience.. like an afternoon spent at somewhere serene with a fatherly figure.. haa.
Had a history lesson basically. ha.. coincidental that I should read abt part of wat the indian uncle told me.. like story telling hee.
It started off with him asking if I'm chinese or malay.. haa.. (again) Then asked if I've Peranakan blood.. which I do on my father side. Then asked if I noe how Peranakans came abt.. ignorant me replied thinking it just meant chinese n malay mix in S'pore last time.. haa.
So starts the story::
Malacca was founded by this Sultan *** (pardon me but I can't remember the name;p) Even before(i think) the Portugese, Dutch n later British colonised it (hey I studied abt this!) -Malacca, trading port for spices mainly.
Threats fr Siam (Thailand), so like how Mongolia ties with China by marriage, Sultan sent a delegation with gifts etc to China. China sent a Princess, Han Li Po, to be married to the Sultan. As they speak diff languages, life could be boring for Princess... 500 nobles were selected n sent to Malacca to accompany the Princess.. They set up families with the local pple.. Descendants of these 500 nobles are thus named Peranakans..
Hey aloy!~>. I'm of noble blood haa.. Chinese brought over by the British are of lower class... to wk in the rubber plantations n tin mines.. Only one lady of Peranakan blood came with them.. Baba.
Taxi uncle makes a much more interesting lecturer and I told him so.. haa.. Turn out his interest lies in History... n studied that in the past.. currently doing a Law degree with University of London!~ 2nd n last yr I think.. N he's actually retired.. So part-time dirving taxi.. told me the only other taxi driver of higher qualifications than him is his brother.. WHOA~ Respect them... "huo2 dao4 lau3, xue2 dao4 lau3"
Day passed by with the usual stuff.. but met up with Ben Ang in the late evening... has been a long time since I last meet up with him. He only has limited time.. so picked me up ard 4 plus.. head to harbourfront... thot of gettin coffee.. end up shopping at the shoe shop.. He almost got a pair.. neway.. went back sch to wait for the others..
having a Jie mei Anniversary gathering!>. quite something to be able to gather all of us together.. ZH, Ivy, Dawnie n me. haa.. on well Paul n Ernest invited too :) jie meis in a way haa.. dawn bought 6 borwnies fr Sweet Secrets... 3 of powerpuff (she Blossom 'cos.. Ivy the sweet one, so I'm left with Buttercup..*kick-ass* haa)
the guys got the Pooh.. she got us each a Gerbera Daisy.. The guys yellow. Ivy pink of cos.. n moi? Dark Pink~! the kind that speaks of loud yet sexy haa.. Thanks Dawnie... Love ya... will always be my best sis n les partner. ;p
We created quite a din at N.Y.D.C. I guess.. but the staff there r fun-loving.. haa not an issue.. had Spag n we all shared 4 kinds of deserts... sinful.. haa..waiting to get the photos fr the rest... then I can share..hee.. I miss my camera.. sobs...
think I got Bebe a bit upset that nitE?
::Running away from delusions:: posted by the gir| @ 9/30/2004 07:53:00 PM